Nobody likes to feel lonely; it is truly one of the worst feelings in the world and can get you down very fast. If you are currently feeling lonely, you should know more than anything that you are not all alone and have people around you that love and care for you, starting with the person you see in the mirror each morning.
Loneliness is a negative emotional reaction to being all alone, even in a world full of people. It is something that we all go through, at some point or the other, and can make us feel isolated from other people. Loneliness is a drag and is one of the most prolonging feelings in the world. It has the effect of hovering over you like the darkness when everyone else seems to be in the light. It is often seen as a bad feeling to have, but we need to sympathize with the fact that being cut off from the rest of the world causes a lot of suffering. If you or even those around you are very often or chronically feeling lonely, it might be a sign of something more severe, such as depression.
Loneliness seems like solitude, but it is not just that. Actually, being alone is not always translated to being lonely since you are comfortable being away from people. It is different for different people and cannot be universally described for everyone. Humans are hardwired to be live and enjoy life around other people, and nobody enjoys being alone. Even if you may feel alone and empty or unhappy in your interpersonal relationships, it is possible to feel lonely.
Here is a compilation of quotes that will hopefully help you feel a little less lonely.
Short Loneliness Quotes
When you are already feeling down, you might not want to read long, novel-length quotes. Even if the large quotes make sense, it is always easier to have just a few words of comfort by your side. These can also be sent as a short and sweet reminder to someone in your life that is feeling lonely and might make them feel better about their forlorn situation. Just a few words are very often enough to turn around the entire mood of the day for any person. This can be the way that you comfort others or yourself.
Feel free to use this on something you see often. You can print and stick it on a wall, keep it on your desk or even make it the wallpaper of your laptop or cell phone such that you will be reminded that life isn’t so alone, and this isn’t permanent. If you are feeling this way, there is a high chance someone else in some other place is feeling the exact same way, if not worse than you also.
- I will not ever become any different just to be easier to deal with.
This conveys that changing yourself will not get you out of feeling alone, for you might now be lonely – but you will no longer recognize yourself.
- When everything is lonely, I can be my best friend. – Conor Oberst
If you are in a situation wherein you are lonely, be your own companion and be kind to yourself. Guide yourself like a friend would.
- Sometimes, I just want to disappear and see if anyone would miss me.
If you are insecure about whether you really matter to those around you or not – you might feel like just vanishing can be the best option. But only the test of time and hardship can make this clear for you – not disappearing.
- To find yourself, think for yourself. – Socrates
If you are on a quest to better understand yourself and who you are, being lonely might be the best way to do it. It will give you a better perspective into who you really are when you are all you really have.
- Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
- Remember: the time you feel lonely is the time you most need to be by yourself. Life’s cruelest irony.
- Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
- Solitude is fine but you need someone to tell that solitude is fine.
- If you’re lonely when you’re alone, you’re in bad company.
Quotes That Describe Loneliness
Understanding the repercussions and the feeling of being truly lonely is hard for those who haven’t felt that way. Or even if a person has been lonely, after getting out of that situation, it may be hard to think back and relate to an individual that is currently feeling lonely. In such cases, quotes that talk about what loneliness actually is and how devastating it can feel might be useful.
It is the words of others that can help us put our own actions and feelings into a new perspective and use the power of their imagination and description to take a look inside. This can be used for you to self-evaluate if you are really lonely, for you to share with your loved ones about how you are feeling currently, or to tell those in your life who are lonely that you understand their struggles.
- Loneliness is a sign you are in desperate need of yourself. – Rupi Kaur
Being lonely might mean that your head is telling you that you need to know who you really are and get in touch with your feelings in order to help yourself become better.
- Loneliness is cured by contact with yourself. – Sven Schnieders
To get over loneliness, we much first come to terms with it and being with ourselves. At the end of the day, we must be there for ourselves – come rain or shine.
- Loneliness is a tax we have to pay to atone for a certain complexity of mind. – Alain de Botton
Being lonely is not a bad thing as it can push us to grow in the right direction very fast. We will easily develop a strong mental strength and armor to get us through any hardship that might come our way.
- Loneliness is not lack of company; loneliness is lack of purpose. – Guillermo Maldonado
Lacking company does not always translate to loneliness, but not knowing where we are going can be. It might mean that we do not understand what we can do about ourselves or a situation that we are currently in.
Quotes About Loneliness That are Often Quoted
Since feeling lonely is universal, there are quotes said by multiple people worldwide about this pathetic feeling. It is very calming to know that other people understand what you are feeling and are able to put those feelings in words for you to express them. Even to yourself, it may be hard to explain the feeling, but when you read or hear some quotes, it may strike a chord with you, and you may be able to better grasp your feelings in the current situation.
This can help you feel that although you are lonely, there are others just like you. They can see and understand your struggles, and while you might not even know them – recognizing their hardships and what they went on to achieve can be a big motivating factor for every individual. More than anything, it helps to know that after this tragic never-ending void, there is a life full of happiness and hope waiting for you on the sidelines that can soon be yours as well.
- A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. Remember that next time you feel alone. — Mandy Hale
The most exponential development often happens when we are the most lonely. This is akin to the metamorphosis of a butterfly when it goes from like a worm to a beautiful insect.
- The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself. — Michel de Montaigne
If you are unable to truly be yourself around people close to you, it may feel like you are all alone in your own little world, that no one can enter, and neither can you leave. This is the source of most lonely feelings that arise for many people.
Hardships of Loneliness
It may seem that when you are lonely, you have to tackle several struggles and fight many wars within yourself every day that no one else can see or sympathize with. This makes it worse as an individual to fight these painful thoughts. These quotes will give you the recognition you deserve in your struggles and make it seem that you are not all alone in this. The real struggle is knowing that not everyone else has this and seems to do things far easier with the support that they need to do a great job and excel. But even despite trying very hard, it might not be that possible for you since you feel so lonely.
- The time you feel lonely is the time you most need to be by yourself. – Douglas Coupland
If you are feeling lonely, you should let yourself be alone enough to start to enjoy your own company. Some say that it is a sign of needing to become acquainted with yourself, your values, vices, and quirks. It will help you work on your core values and desires and reorient yourself in the direction you want to grow in.
- We feel guilt when we no longer want to associate with old friends and colleagues who haven’t changed. The price, and marker, of growth. – Naval Ravikant
Guilt might be a cause to feel lonely. When we outgrow our old relationships in more ways than not, we might be forced to move on. This can cause us to feel terrible about ourselves and widen the gap between us and those around us.
- Sometimes, you just need a break. In a beautiful place. Alone. To figure everything out.
Despite being alone, staying connected to the intangible components of society can keep you tethered to reality and make you feel comfortable in your own skin.
- We’re all lonely for something we don’t know we’re lonely for. How else to explain the curious feeling that goes around feeling like missing somebody we’ve never even met? – David Foster Wallace
Sometimes we are lonely without knowing what not being lonely feels like, which can make it harder for us to bring ourselves out of that mental rut.
- To feel lonely is to join the rest of humanity in acknowledging the painful reality that we are somehow fundamentally separated from each other, never to be fully understood.
When you are lonely, you acknowledge the stark difference between you and others, and similarly them and even more people. No one will truly understand you the way you can because perceptions and perspectives are unique and a result of every individual’s experiences so far.
- I’m lonely. And I’m lonely in some profound way, and for a flash of an instant, I can see just how lonely and how deep this feeling runs. And it scares the shit out of me to be this lonely because it seems catastrophic. – Augusten Burroughs
Loneliness can destroy even the strongest minds because, in isolation, even the smartest men can turn mad. It makes you reconsider what is very important in your life and evaluate your choices more than you ever have before
Realistic Quotes About Loneliness
Finding quotes that actually represent what you are feeling is easier said than done. Fancy words, rhymes, and viral tweets do not always capture the essence of the raw pain and trauma that loneliness can cause us. This is a very sad and pathetic feeling, and it is always helpful to have quotes that are straightforward and real, even if they do not sound as poetic as the other ones. These might resonate better with your feelings and emotions. The words might be crude but will carry the real feelings that you have within yourself.
- That feeling when you don’t even know what the fuck you’re feeling.
You may sometimes feel like you do not even recognize yourself or your feelings or really anything that is going on in your head.
- I want to sleep until I feel better.
Sleeping can be the best way to run and hide from the harsh realities of the world around us. In fact, most people who feel lonely mention that they would rather stay in bed and sleep than actively interact with other people in their day-to-day life.
- Our perpetually networked selves cling to constant communication in an effort to avoid the deep-seated sense of loneliness we so dread. – Maria Popova
Since we are all connected digitally, through calls, messages, or even posts on social media – we are starved if we feel lonely. We try to do anything to avoid the feeling of loneliness and feeling separate from others, which is why most of us have FOMO (fear of missing out).
Blue and Gloomy Quotes
Sadness often goes hand in hand with being lonely as it is likely you will not be able to well regulate your feelings. This is because being alone is already hard, but having negative emotions without being able to share them is far worse. It is a struggle to manage your emotions all on your own, without a friend or family by your side. Especially when there is a little voice in your head that is saying miserable things to you, this can get you feeling quite upset and really bog your mind with insensitive thoughts and comments about yourself and lower your self-esteem to a pathetic level.
- Have you ever just randomly started crying because you’ve been holding in all of these emotions and pretending to be happy for way too long?
Sometimes crying can be the best way to relieve yourself from the burden of emotions you so often carry endlessly and may give you some escape from the stress and pain.
- The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared. – Lois Lowry
Having feelings, thoughts, and memories that cannot be shared since there is no one around is the worst. It makes us feel like we are jailed with our worst enemies, with no way to escape the situation.
Quotes That Relate to Heartbreak and Loneliness
Sometimes our loved one breaking our heart can cause us to feel the most alone in the world. This is especially true if you are just fresh out of a relationship. Even if it ended for the right reasons, the feelings and sense of companionship remain constant, and it is very hard to get rid of that. You might find yourself often looking for a pillar of support and falling after not being able to lean on it. This is a tragic truth we must all accept. Heartbreak also is not a forever condition, and it is bound to improve over time. There is always someone for everyone, and until you find that person, getting hurt is inevitable.
- I can’t take away your pain, but I can offer you two miracles: the love that comes from turning toward other human beings, and the connection we have to everyone on Earth. – Leo Babauta
We can only fight loneliness with companionship. And if that companion is not another person, it must be yourself. You should always try to stay connected to those around you and give your love and affection freely without any inhibition.
- I’m falling apart right in front of your eyes, but you don’t even see me.
Loneliness is feeling like you are so alone that no one can see your pain and struggles, not even when you are right in front of them, crumbling to pieces.
- Every single human being who is alive has felt this kind of pain, hopelessness, and loneliness at one time or another. We are all connected through this shared pain and struggle. – Leo Babauta
If you think of it, ironically, even the loneliest people are connected to other lonely people as they share a mutual feeling. While this is not a positive force to share, it is a truly heartbreaking thing that, despite what you think, you are always connected to other humans.
- The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.
- The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.
- We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness.
- The eternal quest of the individual human being is to shatter his loneliness.
- Loneliness is the ultimate poverty.
Lonely Night Quotes
During the daytime, it is way easier to keep your head occupied and go on finishing the task that you have to get done. But at night, it becomes far harder. This is because when the sun sets, and you are done with all your to-do list items, you are left all by yourself, whether you like it or not. This may make the situation much harder to swallow. Night can also bring up some pretty intense emotions if your friends are all in loving relationships, and you can hear them talk about their loved ones and the conversations they have at night. This makes the whole situation far worse than it regularly would be and with no one to share this irritation with.
- Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better. – Henry Rollins
Loneliness in its rawest sense can be beautiful and life-altering. It will put the simple things on a pedestal and help you appreciate constant things, like nature and routine, far more than you expected to ever think about.
- Know that even if you feel alone, you are not alone. I, for one, am connected to you because I’m thinking of you, all of you. I’m connected to you because I too have suffered in similar ways. We have shared pain, shared hopelessness, shared loneliness. – Leo Babauta
Everyone has gone through similar circumstances. It may not be in the same situation, phase of life, age, or location – but it is universal. Remembering that will always help you feel less alone in the lowest of your emotional days.
- The trouble is not really in being alone; it’s lonely; one can be lonely in the midst of a crowd, don’t you think. – Christine Feehan
Being alone is okay. It lets you know that physically you do not have company. But if you are lonely, even in the most crowded streets – where everyone is bustling with noise, you will feel like you have been punished for coexisting in a world that you cannot even be seen.
- You will go with me everywhere. When I’m dreaming, you still share my lonely nights.
- Stormy or sunny days, glorious or lonely nights, I maintain an attitude of gratitude.
- If I insist on being pessimistic, there is always tomorrow. Today I am blessed.
- There’s something about lonely nights and my lipstick on your face.
Some Other Feeling Lonely Quotes
There are lots of great quotes are shared in this article. If one person is feeling lonely when they are left alone or they faced some kind of heartbreak with their loved ones then they can relate themselves with these quotes and here below are some other quotes which do not fall in the above category.
- Loneliness is abnormal.
- Beautiful soul walks alone.
- Loneliness can make you develop into a strong person.
- People around me are not right for me, so I am alone in the crowd.
- Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
- Loneliness is not lack of company, loneliness is lack of purpose.
- When we can’t stand being alone, it means we’re undervaluing the one and only friend we’ll have from birth to death.
- Being alone is good sometimes, as you don’t have to answer anyone.
Feeling lonely may seem like a situation that will last all your life, but that is not true. It is something you will surely get through. In fact, it may render you stronger than you were before and give you the mental strength to reach for much greater things in life. It will teach you to be alone, even if you have not many people around you, and show you that there is a way where ever there is a will. More importantly, getting through hard times makes the good times feel much better. It is a relieving experience to get out of, but for as long as you are in, it can feel very dark and depressing.
In such times it might do you good to look at old pictures, talk to friends and family. You can also do other activities like self-care, taking up a dance/exercise class, going on walks, or cultivating the reading habit you have always wanted. Chase after your wildest dreams because being alone is not a forever constant. But when you go from one place to the other, you might meet new people and forge new connections that you did not think were possible, to begin with. It is always astonishing how the power of a good company can expel any and all negativity that you feel. It is good friends that make our overall life good to be a part of.
So hold on to hope and remember that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel waiting for you!