The Dirty Dozen, based on the 1965 novel of the same name by E. M. Nathanson, is a famous war film of 1967 that was shot at the MGM-British Studios in the UK. It has been made under the directorial venture of Robert Aldrich while Lukas Heller and Nunnally Johnson have penned the story.
Post its release by MG; it went to become a box office hit and, over the years, has won several accolades and acclaims. Kenneth Hyman produced the movie.
Who Are All There In The Dirty Dozen?
- Ernest Borgnine playing the role of Major General Sam Worden
- Lee Marvin playing the role of Major John Reisman
- Charles Bronson playing the role of Joseph Wladyslaw
- Richard Jaeckel playing the role of Sergeant Clyde Bowren
- Jim Brown playing the role of Robert T. Jefferson
- John Cassavetes playing the role of Victor R. Franko
- George Kennedy playing the role of Major Max Armbruster
- Trini Lopez playing the role of J. Pedro Jimenez
- Ralph Meeker playing the role of captain Stuart Kinder
- Robert Ryan playing the role of Colonel Everett Dasher Breed
- Robert Webber playing the role of Brigadier General James Denton
- Donald Sutherland playing the role of Vernon L. Pinkley
- Clint Walker playing the role of Samson Posey
- Tom Busby playing the role of Milo Vladek
- Ben Carruthers playing the role of S. Glenn Gilpin
- Stuart Cooper playing the role of Roscoe Lever
- Al Mancini playing the role of Tassos R. Bravos
- Robert Phillips playing the role of Corporal Carl Morgan
- Colin Maitland playing the role of Seth K. Sawyer
What Is The Dirty Dozen All About?
The story that is majorly inspired by the real-life incidents during WWII shows a full-of-attitude and proactive Major interviewing the prisoners of the military that have been either prisoned for long term owing to dangerous missions or have been given a death sentence.
The sole purpose behind the interaction was to send them behind the enemy’s station and lines and ultimately cause heavy damage on the D-day for the Generals of Germany.
What To Know Before Watching The Movie?
The Dirty Dozen has been a blockbuster film that managed to earn high profits post its release in countries like the UK, US, France, Canada, etc. It became one of the fastest earning movies of the time and even became MGM’s most hit movie that year. Through the years, it went on to bag several awards and was nominated for achievements like Oscar for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role, Best Achievement in Film Editing, etc.
Presently the movie has been given an 80% rating by Rotten Tomatoes based on 49 reviews.
Through the years, various movies and series have been created inspired by The Dirty Dozen. Warner Bros made David Ayer the director of DC Comic’s Suicide Squad in 2014. The film was heavily inspired by The Dirty Dozen and is kind of like the original movie but with supervillains.
Where To Enjoy The Movie?
The movie was for the first time released on June 15, 1967, in New York at the Capital Theatre.
Suppose you are willing to watch the movie. In that case, you will be delighted to know that it can be either rented or bought as a download from platforms like Google Play Movies, iTunes, AMC on Demand, Microsoft Store, Redbox, Amazon Video, Vudu, DIRECTV online, and YouTube.