The American vampire horror supernatural movie of 1987, The Lost Boys, whose title indicates to J. M. Barrie’s stories regarding Neverland and Peter Pan and had mention of Lost Boys in it. James Jeremias and Janice Fischer wrote the movie’s story while the direction is by Joel Schumacher. Having done its shooting in California, Santa Cruz, the film’s screenplay has been penned by Jeffrey Boam and produced by Harvey Bernhard.
Warner Bros. has released as well as produced the movie. The movie became a successful launch, grossing huge profits post its release. Two comic book series and sequels- Lost Boys: The Tribe and Lost Boys: The Thirst- have also been made owing to the original movie’s success. Currently, a rebooted version is under making with Jaeden Martell and Noah Jupein the revamped edition.
Cast in The Lost Boys (1987)
- Kiefer Sutherland playing the role of David Powers
- Jason Patric playing the role of Michael Emerson
- Brooke McCarter playing the role of Paula
- Corey Haim playing the role of Emerson
- Dianne Wiest playing the role of lucy Emerson
- Billy Wirth playing the role of Dwayne
- Alex Winter playing the role of Marko
- Corey Feldman playing the role of Edgar Frog
- Jamison Newlander playing the role of Allan Frog
- Alexander Bacan Chapman playing the role of Greg
- Edward Herrmann playing the role of Max
- Jami Gertz playing the role of star
- Chance Michael Corbitt playing the role of Laddie
- Barnard Hughes playing the role of grandpa
- Tim Cappello playing the role of saxophone Player
- Kelly Jo Minter playing the role of Marie
- Nori Morgan playing the role of Shelley
What is the story of The Lost Boys?
Along with their mother, Lucy Emerson, two brothers, Sam Emerson and Michael Emerson, move to a fictional town of California to start their life afresh. Both the brothers make their own encounters in the town, with Sam making friends with Alan and Edward, Michael on the other hand, is anger-ridden and falls in love with Star.
But the latter is captive to the leader of the local vampire’s group, David. To save Michael and Star from the dangerous creatures, Sam and his companions devise strategy and the story follows their encounter with the blood-sucking beings.
Facts to be known about Lost Boys before watching?
The 98 minutes long movie premiered on July 31, 1987, by Warner Bros. and went on to earn a total of $32.2 million against the budget of $8.5 million. The movie that is a good balance of humor, horror, drama, and creative visual style has been given a rating of 76% on Rotten Tomatoes on 67 reviews. The stars have been applauded for their stellar performances.
A 63% score has been given to the movie on Metacritic based on 16 reviews. The movie has also been praised for its fresh approach to making the vampire genre look young and sexy. In the same year as its release, it won a Saturn Award for Best Horror Film. A 220 pages long novel was also released, having many scenes that were somehow removed from the movie and additions to many characters.
Where to Watch it?
Lost Boys can be enjoyed on platforms like Vudu, Google Play Movies, Amazon Prime Videos, iTunes, YouTube TV, Microsoft Store, DirectTV, RedBox, and AMC on Demand by either renting or purchasing it.