1883 is a Western Drama. This show was written and created by Taylor Sheridan; with a stellar cast and fantastic plot, the show is binge-worthy and has a massive fan following with a 9.1 rating on IMDB.
Recap Of The Episode
The sixth episode of 1883 was titled “Boring The Devil.” The episode began with a gloomy Elsa self-pitying in the back of the wagon, as she was deeply mourning the loss of her love, Ennis. Elsa was sitting next to Ennis’ grave when Captain Shea comforted her, who knew a little about her loss. Later, Shea and Thomas went to look for a cook and a cowboy who could replace Ennis. They hire a guy called Colton who agrees to take the job after taking a good look at Elsa.
The scene changed, and we saw Elsa and Margaret going to the store to pick up some supplies. Elsa picks up a fight with a stranger, drawing her gun upon him. James quickly interrupts her and sends Elsa back to the wagon. Margaret continues to the store where she runs into Carolyn, who offered her whiskey punch after she unintentionally insulted her mothering skills. Margaret gets drunk with Carolyn to get relief from the journey’s hardships.
In the meantime, Noemi asks Thomas to sell her dead husband’s belongings to the local trader. After they hired a new cook, Thomas got $35 for Noemi’s belongings. James and Margaret were arguing about Elsa as they were returning from the store; James went to speak to their daughter. After having a flashback about killing someone in a disturbing monologue, James assured Elsa that she was not a murderer. And Elsa decided to honour Ennis’ by living their dream.
Essential Moments Of The Episode
The sixth episode was one of the best of the season that will have repercussions throughout the rest of the season, and here are the five essential moments of the episode:
- Shea Comforting Elsa: When Elsa was grieving Ennis’ death, she isolated herself from her family, and she went to sit by his grave. Shea, who was also mourning the death of his wife and child, is the only person who consoled her. And watching the hardened cowboy like Shea talking about love and his brief but strong talk on love and loss comforted Elsa and strengthened her is moving.
- Meeting Colton: After Ennis’ demise, Shea recruited Colton, a young and handsome cowboy who knows their journey well. He sets his eyes well on Elsa but has backed off by Wade, who told him about her loss, and she won’t be seeing him anytime soon.
- Crossing The Red River: As James, Shea, and Thomas surveyed the water, James suggested running the cattle first, and then they will take one wagon at a time, but this plan would take a day. Shea seemed upset because James’ plan would add another day to their journey.
- The First Time James Killed Someone: James went to talk to Elsa to put some sense into her, Elsa explained how the stranger’s gaze was threatening, and as a result, she was ready to kill him. We saw an upsetting flashback of when James killed someone and how that memory haunts him even today.
- Noemi And Thomas’ New Romance: Thomas and Noemi have a budding relationship, and everyone can see it but Thomas. And he is surprised by her reaction when she is annoyed, and after having a conversation, she kisses him, and Thomas realises that he has been in love with Noemi since the beginning.
The Plot Of The Show
1883 acts as the prequel to “Yellowstone”, and in this series, we will see how the Dutton family left Texas and the journey they had to go through for a better future.
Where To Watch?
1883 is a Paramount Original series which means that this show is available on Paramount+, which will have the previous and upcoming episodes during their time of release. The show is also available on Amazon Prime Video, but you have to add the Paramount package to your existing package.